Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Book "Rebel With A Cause"

It took me years to finally read the book "Rebel With A Cause", an autobiography by Franklin Graham. The book was sent to me free by him some years ago because I was a regular contributor to his and his father's organizations.  But I am not a biography reader, especially of living persons.  So the book stayed on the shelf.  For some reason, I decided a few days ago to read it and get it out of the way.

And it was a surprise.  I, in fact, did have a hard time putting it down.  It was not a bragging kind of book. And what is more important, I learned a lot more about the organization "Samaritan's Purse", he is now leading.  It was established originally by Dr. Bob Pierce, and Franklin Graham had been working with Dr. Pierce for some years and learned about the latter's vision for the continuance of this organization after his death.

As most people, I knew of the Christmas shoe boxes the organization sent to children all over the world each Christmas.  But I knew little more about it.  In this book I learned how much the organization is doing, and has been doing, in the medical field (through the Medical Mission that is a partner organization of Samaritan's Purse) and other humanitarian works.

And they have reached people in need and in places that others had no access too.  But then they only do the work where and when they are guided by the Lord.  And all work is done in His name and they will always accompany their work with talking about Christ being our Savior. Much of the work has been done in war torn countries also, often with winding ways to gain access to the needy.  But always with success.  And many individuals have accepted the Lord and become leaders in their areas later.

I agree totally that as a Christian anything I do to help anyone has to be in the Lord's name.  Otherwise my help has no guarantee of being effective.  And I have done that person a disservice, even though he/she does not know it.

When they day comes when God will hold us accountable for our works, we will be shocked to learn that so much we did in our own name and with our own decision, regardless of how well-meaning, will find no acceptance by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment